Matthew Miller: Teaching the High School Entrepreneur
Superintendent Matthew Miller shares how students are becoming entrepreneurs and starting businesses—all while working towards graduation.
Superintendent Matthew Miller shares how students at Ohio's Lakota Local Schools are becoming entrepreneurs and starting businesses—all while working towards graduation.
College has become a culturally expected step in a student’s academic journey. In the US, an average of 66% of high school graduates go straight to college. But what about the other 34%?
Not everyone can afford to go to college. Not everyone wants to. In fact, 33% of all young adults—about 10 million people 18 to 24—aren’t going to school. They’re working. But many find that their K-12 education didn’t prepare them for a life outside of school. A 2018 Gallup Poll of 1,500 adults nationwide found that only 5 percent of the respondents think high school graduates are “very prepared” to enter the workforce.
Superintendent Matthew Miller is working to change that statistic. At Lakota Local Schools in Liberty Township, Ohio, he and his team are working to prepare every student for their post-high school pathway—whether that’s college, the military, the workforce, or even starting their own business.
In this episode, we talk with Superintendent Miller about the options he’s creating for students and the unique and exciting ways Lakota sets them up for success.
Matthew Miller (@LakotaSuper)
Lakota Local Schools (@LakotaDistrict)
Click here to learn more about the Lakota 4E Pathways.
Subscribe to SchoolCEO at SchoolCEO.com for more advice, stories, and strategies for leading your schools. And if you have a story you’d like to share, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.